Australia’s second-largest metropolis, Melbourne, is the capital of Victoria State and the most populous city in Australia. The city has a population of 4.4 million people according to recent data, making it Australia’s second-largest city after Sydney.
It ranks as one of the most livable cities in the world by international standards, along with other Australian cities like Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. Melbourne is a major centre for arts, culture, gaming, food and shopping in Australia.
Melbourne’s main areas of interest are distinct from each other and include sport, the arts precinct (including theatre), historical architecture, and restaurants. The city provides an eclectic mix of clubs and bars to suit its 4 million inhabitants. Melbourne is also famous for its long stretch of beach-front properties and parks along the Yarra River.
Melbourne has popular events, such as the Halloween Festival in October and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival that runs in March/April each year. The city has a large number of art galleries and theatres, such as the National Gallery of Victoria.
This city is also a hub for international sporting activity, including the Australian Formula One Grand Prix which attracts over 30-40,000 people each year. A number of large sports stadiums are located in Melbourne, these include the Docklands Stadium (50,000 capacity), Etihad Stadium (63,000 capacity) and the Melbourne Cricket Ground (100,000 capacity).
Melbourne also has a large network of parks in its city centre, including the Carlton Gardens, Alexandra Gardens and Royal Botanic Gardens which provide residents with an escape from their busy day-to-day activities.
PLACES TO VISIT IN MELBOURNE
Below is a list of places to visit in Melbourne that are popular with tourists, including the top tourist attractions and other sites that may be of interest:
• The Queen Victoria Market – This large market was built during the 1850s, it has an estimated quarterly attendance of over 2 million people. The market sells fresh produce as well as clothing and craft items. The market has over 400 stallholders.
• Rialto Towers – This 52-storey skyscraper was designed by the world-renowned architect, Harry Seidler. It is one of Australia’s most spectacular buildings and offers a view of Melbourne that is second to none. Tourists can walk through the gardens on top of the building.
• The Shrine of Remembrance – Located in Melbourne’s CBD, this was built as a memorial to Australian soldiers. This structure is known universally as the Shrine and has a large number of visitors every year. It also contains an impressive art collection that dates back to 1879. There are guided tours available at the shrine 6 days a week.
• National Gallery of Victoria – This is the largest art gallery in Australia, it contains over 67,000 works of art. The NGV also has a large collection of Aboriginal artwork and historic collections which date back to 1873. The building itself dates from 1870 and was built by William Wardell who also designed the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne.
• Royal Botanic Gardens – This is one of the most popular attractions in Melbourne, with an attendance rate of over a million people each year. It is located within close proximity to the CBD and attracts a large number of international tourists especially during spring and summer. The gardens were established on 32 hectares (80 acres) in 1846 and contain over 80,000 plants. The city operates a tram service that runs through the gardens, departing from Swanston Street on route 55.
• Sherlock Holmes Museum – This museum is based in central Melbourne and is dedicated to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous literary character, Sherlock Holmes. It contains many unique pieces of memorabilia including jewellery, costumes and a number of original items owned by the author.
• The Melbourne Cricket Ground – This is one of the most famous sports stadiums in the world. It was established in 1854 and has been home to many international sporting events including Australian Rules Football matches and cricket games featuring Australia’s national team.
These are just some of the popular places you see in Melbourne. To make most of it make sure to travel and explore the city. The best time to visit would be between May and August when the weather is most favorable. Be sure to book your Melbourne hotel in advance if you don’t want to spend half of your vacation looking for a place to stay, and also make sure to have an idea of what you want to see or do, so better hire coach hire specialist like Melbourne Coach Company. Leave some space for serendipitous discoveries, however. It’s very likely you’ll stumble upon something you didn’t know about while on the street.